Wednesday, May 17, 2017

Mini Update: Still Sick

I've been referred to an ear, nose and throat specialist.  I'll be seeing him on Monday afternoon.  Not only has my hearing not returned in my right ear but my lymph nodes are back to being swollen despite being on a second round of antibiotics.

For those of you who haven't seen my social media posts, here's kind of a timeline of events:

Monday, April 24th: Get food poisoning from a fast food place.
Wednesday, April 26th: Fly out to Milwaukee with food poisoning. Eat nothing while I'm there.
Thursday, April 27th: Fly back home in less than 24 hours. Everyone on the plane is coughing, so I'm aware I'm going to catch something.
Monday, May 1st: Malaise, cough, sore throat. I figure it's just a head cold.
Thursday, May 4th: Go to the Minute Clinic because the sore throat is severe. I'm told that they won't give me antibiotics unless it's in my ears, which it isn't - yet.
Friday, May 5th: Go to my actual doctor, who is confused as to why the Minute Clinic didn't give me antibiotics. Get what I need.
Saturday, May 6th: Throat clears up almost instantly on the Zpak.  But my hearing in my right ear starts going in and out.
Sunday, May 7th: I have now lost all hearing in my right ear after a painful moment at 4 am that wakes me.
Thursday, May 11th: Go back to my doctor. I'm prescribed more antibiotics for what she thinks is an infection that might have ruptured my ear drum.
Monday, May 15th: Throat begins to swell again despite being on antibiotics.
Tuesday, May 16th: Call my doctor because I figure I'm going to be referred at this point and sure enough, ENT specialist.

I have been some sort of ill since April 24th - not the standard chronic illness flare but straight up sick - and I'm utterly exhausted from it.

I haven't been blogging because the pain associated with the plugged ear and swallowing with swollen lymph nodes is severe enough that my brain will reset mid-thought.  It's tough to focus.  I'm still working too as I'm in the midst of busy season; I actually head out to Topeka today for a lengthy gig.  I can't really find replacements in my line of work so I'm obligated to my contracts.  And I keep taking contracts because I have no idea when this will be resolved.  I can't just stop working because what if the ENT specialist solves it Monday? Then I'd have turned down contracts for nothing.

So right now, all of my energy is going to work.  When I'm not working, I'm sleeping so I don't have to deal with the pain of swallowing or the surmounting pressure in my ear.  That's why I haven't been around.

Hopefully I will have more answers Monday.  In the mean time, I appreciate your patience as I'm not blogging very often because of all of this.  Thank you!


  1. Keep fighting girl! I hope you get some answers soon.

  2. I'm sorry you're still dealing with this. I had a chronic sinus issue for 6 months once and I almost lost my mind. Ear/throat is horrid because you can't even think. Hoping for good news soon!

    1. You're absolutely right, Brigitte. I feel like I should be able to push through because it's just my ear, right? Nope, the pain and slush sound was so overwhelming that it would reset my thoughts every few seconds. I'm so glad it's cleared up (though, even today, I still have to pop my ear every now and then). Thank you so much!

  3. That sounds awful! Sending good thoughts and vibes your way for healing!